Why I love the sky

IMG_0907 (1)

Fifteen days. That’s the longest I’ve gone without stepping foot on an aircraft since I became Cabin Crew. And let me tell you, for any aircrew that admires their job, that’s a long time!

When I mentioned this to my friends earlier this week, they laughed. “You’re in the air all the time, you deserve a break” they said. They’re not wrong! The long days, hectic schedules, different flight routes and sometimes strenuous services onboard can make for an exhausting lifestyle, but the truth is most aircrew wouldn’t change it for the world.

Being in the sky is exhilarating. It’s hard to explain, but once you’ve had the opportunity to taste flight you see the world a little differently.

I’m currently on leave and visiting my loved ones in Canada. As I write this post, I’m watching the planes take off from the waterfront near the Toronto Island Airport. I guess that’s when you know you really love your job; even on your days off, you’re still looking upward!

I’ve been flying for just under a year now, and I’m still fascinated by the idea of how such large vehicles can make their way into the skies. While I sit here and watch them, I can’t help but wonder, where in the world are they headed? And each month I ask myself a similar question; where in the world will my wings take me next?

When I became Cabin Crew, I told myself that no matter what, I would make the most of it, because I knew that this was an incredible opportunity to travel the world. One chance that many people do not often receive.

Yes, in aviation, there can be such things as ‘bad flights’. As aircrew, we often look to our colleagues and our customers for that inspiration to overcome them. Seat 44A may press the call bell an awful lot and kids may run up and down the aisles more than we’d like, but I always try to put myself in their shoes and remind my colleagues that most of our customers don’t get to fly almost everyday like we do.

Like many jobs, flying has its pros and cons, but I believe it is what you make of it. You can choose to have a positive attitude or a negative one when you wake up and go to work each morning. When aircrew do get up, it’s usually in a different country, in a place some people will only ever dream of.

Travel isn’t one of the only perks of our job. Others include discounted tickets, paid vacation days, medical/insurance benefits… the list goes on and it varies from airline to airline. For the most part though, we don’t do it for this. I myself live for the experience, and this opportunity is one that has given me many.

I love my job and I love flying. With that I say, if you are thinking of joining an airline, I have only two words for you: do it!

IG: @LipstickAndLuggage
FB: Kelsey Belle
Twitter: @KelseyBelleDXB

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal views and and do not represent the views of my company.

6 Comments

1. Ruari Allen
    October 9, 2016 / 5:20 pm

Wats the best advice for cabin crew and can u help me if I joined u kelsey on a flight and would I be able to stay with you

2. Sonia
    October 10, 2016 / 8:14 am

Your post is so nice! Congratulations for your job, your mindset and your beautiful attitude!. I always read your webpage!
    I applied once in an open day of Emirates but I wasn´t successful in the final round, however, there hasn’t gone a day that I haven’t had the thought of going to try a second time (Next month will have passed 6 months already from my application).
    I read you were studying by the time you applied for the post, and I will begin a Master’s degree now, would it be a problem for getting a vacancy in Emirates if I am still a student when I go to an open day?

• Lipstick And Luggage
      October 12, 2016 / 2:16 am

Hi Sonia,

I wasn’t successful the first time I applied either, so don’t be discouraged! Yes, I was completing my postgraduate degree at the time, and from my personal experience Emirates was very accommodating with regards to my date of joining. I was able to complete my studies prior to moving to Dubai. My advice to you would be to apply anyway, and speak to them about it at the assessment day. 🙂 All the best!

• SONIA
        October 13, 2016 / 4:48 am

Thank you so much for your answer! 🙂 Best wishes !

3. March 5, 2017 / 5:53 am

I started to follow you on Instagram after you became of my suggestions to follow. I have been wanting to become a flight attendant for Emirates ever since I flew with them from Boston to Johannesburg. I had just left the states after two years and was so emotional having to leave behind the country as well as my friends and family. The cabin crew was amazing and made sure that I was comfortable and had a lot of sympathy and empathy for me. When I got off at O.R Tambo, I knew that this was my destiny. I have been invited to a recruitment day, but I was so nervous after seeing how polished and beautiful all the other girls looked. I didn’t get through to the next round, but it is because I didn’t believe in myself and wasn’t confident. I have decided to move to The Netherlands, add another country to my name where I have lived and worked, and am going to try again when they go to Amsterdam. I have been working on my confidence and self worth and I have a very good feeling about the next time I go to a recruitment day. I am extremely adventurous and love to interact with other nationalities. And your blog and Instagram page is such an inspiration, and I can’t wait to see what is in store for you. I was wondering if you would mind writing about how you prepared yourself for your recruitment day and what you wrote in your cover letter? Safe Travels!

• Lipstick And Luggage
      March 12, 2017 / 9:59 am

Hi Margot,

My apologies for the late reply!

I’m happy to hear that you have had such a positive experience with us and that you are looking to join our team! Don’t be discouraged because of the other girls; I know that the interview process is intimidating (I went through it twice before I was successful) but if you feel as though it is your destiny, trust your gut and believe in yourself. 🙂

Thank you for your kind words too. I’m glad you are inspired by my posts! I love sharing what I get to do with others, and messages from people like you make it all worth it.

To be honest, I didn’t do much to prepare for my recruitment day. I read a few flight attendant blogs, the Emirates website (about the airline and the /requirements) and focused my cover letter on the customer service/cultural experience that I had.

Hope that helps you out, and that I will see you in the skies one day!

Much love,